Wednesday, September 11, 2013

West Campus Story

Entering the MTC is like going into the under water world of Naboo. Your mind tells you you're still on the same planet, but your surroundings tell you otherwise. Saying goodbye to family on the curb rips your heart out. All I wanted to do was drop my bags and run back home.

But no, I'm swept away by a complete stranger and herded like a sheep through a long hallway, all while my body and mind seem to be totally numb. Pretty soon I find myself walking up to a elderly missionary with a small envelope that somehow made it into my hands, and she opens it and gives me my name tag and then....wait, let me say that again....

I GOT A NAMETAG!!!

Yes, yes, yes! It was the best feeling I've  e.v.e.r  had! I'm a missionary! Yep, it hits you right there, right then. "This is for real. I'm a MISSIONARY!"

Then, to make everything even more ecstatic, I read where I'm assigned to learn.Yep, you guessed it, I'm training on West Campus!!! What does that mean, you ask? I'm living at Wyview and studying at Raintree! Crazy....crazy crazy crazy! I love it though! I'm so happy to be here; it's more open and airy, everyone is happy and friendly, the classrooms are bright, the residence halls are clean and new, and the walk back and from halls to class is always a plus! Love. It. Here!

In all honesty, the rest of the day was a blur. I went to class, met my district, met my companion, was assigned a room, etc. etc. etc.  Going through the motions, taking it all in, I'm sure we looked like deer in headlights, but our teachers got us into the scriptures, PMG, the District movies, and more more more! Honestly, you're so busy, there's no time to think!

I didn't cry at all. In fact, at devotional that night, I couldn't wipe a smile off my face. It was so bad the MTC presidency kept staring at me to make sure I hadn't lost my marbles. I was overjoyed! My heart was overflowing with happiness! The spirit was so strong and every bit of me was filled with the love of my Savior. 

The first time I cried was five days later, but it wasn't over homesickness, it wasn't over the workload, or the rigorous schedule, or the lack of electronics, or the difficulty of learning....no, I cried for the first time in the MTC when, in a role play with my companion, as I taught the first discussion, I began Joseph Smith's words, "I saw a pillar of light, exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. When the light rested upon me I saw two personages, who's brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other, "This is my Beloved Son. Hear Him!" I lost it. I cried tears of joy, tears of faith, tears of testimony, tears of conviction that this gospel is true. I knew it, I know it, and I love it! 

This Gospel is TRUE! 

My faith and testimony has never been stronger. My love of this gospel has never been greater. My pride of being a Mormon missionary has never been brighter. The MTC is an incredible place! I love it! It's not easy, it's hard work! Our schedule is all go go go! But, I LOVE IT! 

Best moments of the week:

Elder Christensen, like the Elder Christensen from the District movies was our teacher one night!! WHAT?! It was so cool! #mormoncelebrity  #ishookhishand!

Our District is amazing! All of them! We are so close, they've really become my family! Our teacher told us that in all her years of being a missionary and then a teacher at the MTC, she's never met a district with more potential and power as ours! Mom, you should be proud. 

My companion is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! We're basically the same person! 

#meanttobe

Her name is Sister Butler, she's from Idaho and honestly, I couldn't think of a better companion for me! We love each other sooooo much and have a blast! We actually connected on FB before coming out here...again #meanttobe:)

We are teaching two "investigators" and I've been amazed at how the Spirit is able to work through me as we teach! It's incredible! My most spiritual moments here have been when teaching. I love it! For all you future missionaries, a word of advice: memorize your scripture masteries (they come in handy, all the time!), know the points of doctrine for each PMG lesson, and finally, role play, role play, role play!! I've totally gained a testimony of it's usefulness!! Just do it! 

I'm learning so much here, it'll be exciting but also hard to leave. We fly out to Chi Town this coming Monday at 4:30 a.m.!! 

We're on the countdown!!!


The gospel is true, Christ is the One, the Spirit is real, the MTC is amazing, and MISSIONARIES ARE THE BEST! Keep them letters coming! They mean the world to us! 

Onward and upward,

Sister Parker


Inline image 1
District 136-D!!

Inline image 2
#dorkdot #ldsmissionary

Inline image 3
Wyview dorm! #maincampusshouldbejealous


Inline image 5

Provo flash flood! The huge dumpsters were floating in it! CRAZY!


Inline image 7
MTC main campus devotional! #photobombingelders